Friday, August 28, 2020

Wishing of Normal

   Throughout high school, the majority of students are excited about college. Moving away from home, meeting new people, and creating new memories are just some of the reasons why seniors want to attend college. I was one of the many that believed this, however, it's nothing like I've imagined. As I embark on my journey as a Freshman at the University of Kentucky, I have raised awareness for the Covid-19 situation. When walking to class, grabbing food, or hanging with friends outside of the dorm, all students must wear masks. As you're reading this, you may wonder "what was it like?", "How did the campus execute the education mission?" Since the beginning of classes on August 17th, 2020, the majority have been remotely online. Classes that were held online were either independent or held Zoom meetings (visual video) to help incorporate with students. However, with only being on campus for two weeks, the University has already called for the second round of Covid-19 testing within the fraternities and sororities. During the beginning weeks of college, these groups have recruitment days, in which students come together. With higher cases within these organizations than the campus itself, the question, "Will campus close before Thanksgiving break?" surfaces. Though this question still seems to cloud the minds of countless students (even across the U.S), I believe that UK will pull through. With extra precautions during community events and more awareness, the University of Kentucky's students will get to make experiences throughout a deadly pandemic.


University of Kentucky Campus (Aug, 2020)


     The usage of masks may help with the mitigation of the virus, however, I think that all students can agree they would much rather be without one. During the start of the school year, the weather in August is severely humid. Wearing a mask to and from class can create discomfort for many individuals, especially with breathing, as the majority of masks lack filtration. However, to attend college and live on campus, students must abide by the safety precaution.

Friday Morning Online Class (8-28-20)


     Online classes may have been portrayed as a "stick in the mud" type of idea but there are some highlights. For example, you can stay in bed and attend class at the same time (as shown above). Although I don't have to wake up at the crack of dawn to walk to my 8 am math class, a part of me wishes for normal. I hope that the University remains open long enough for me to complete my Freshman year. College is supposed to be an important time of your life, why would you waste it in a dorm room?







No comments:

Post a Comment

Advancement in Blog

  Hello, this entry will be a short message for future posts. As you have been aware that I have been documenting events on campus for my Gl...